Important Update Regarding Plans After Spring Break
RRSD #35 Update for Parents and Students Regarding Mandated School Closure Until April 28th.
- This is an opportunity, not an obstacle!
- How do we turn this into an inspirational time of individual and community growth?
- We will model for our young people what it means to rise above and overcome!
March 20, 2020
Dear Community Members,
The three statements listed above have guided the work of the Rogue River School District’s administrative team over the last five days. We referred to these often as we developed a plan to offer necessary educational supports to our students during the extended closure we are experiencing because of the COVID-19 pandemic. With these statements at the core of our thinking and near to our hearts, we came up with a system that we believe will support our students educationally and allow our staff to productively and creatively engage our students in learning opportunities during the closure.
Nothing that follows is meant to replace or replicate the traditional school setting. School as we knew it two weeks ago is essentially on pause. What follows is a plan to provide educational supports and learning opportunities to keep students learning while they are away from school.
Here is the simplified gist of what our plan is: We are a 1 to 1 Chromebook district. We will deploy Chromebooks to all students beginning April 1st. Staff will come to work on March 30th-31st for coordination and training on how we can deliver educational supports via our Chromebooks. Once Chromebooks are deployed, students with internet access will be able to access work online. Students without internet access will be given jump drives pre-loaded with lessons, resources, and materials that are similar to what will be available online so that we are being equitable to all of our students. Lower elementary staff will work with Principal Wright to develop age appropriate resources that may include the use of Chromebooks along with other educational tools. Detailed instructions on how to access work will be provided on or before April 2nd!
How getting the Chromebooks will work:
Parents will do the following to get a Chromebook for their student:
- Write your Child's Name on a piece of paper in large letters so it can be seen through the car window from at least six feet away.
- The Chromebook and any additional materials that your student will need will be handed to you through your car window.
- Please don’t get out of the car
- If your student/s need anything from their locker, ask the Chromebook crew, and they will direct you to park and enter the building.
- If you have children attending more than one school, pick up devices at each school.
Pick Up Schedule for Chromebooks:
- High School Students: Pick up from the Jr./ Sr. High School during the 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. / 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. windows on Wednesday the 1st of April
- Jr High Students: Pick up from the Jr./ Sr. High School during the 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. / 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. windows on Wednesday the 1st of April
- RRES Students K - 3: Pick up from the East Campus where the buses drop off students during the 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. / 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. windows on Wednesday the 1st of April
- RRES Students 4-6: Pick up from the West Campus behind the building near the music room during the 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. / 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. windows on Wednesday the 1st of April
- South Valley Academy: Contact the school
- If I can’t pick up Chromebooks during these advertised times, how do I get it? Call your school April 1st and we will make special arrangements with you. Contact info below.
- If I don’t have internet, what does my student do? Pick up a Chromebook and contact your school on April 1st. We have a plan to deliver materials via jump drive and we will provide educational supports for your student.
- What about seniors and graduation? We are waiting on further guidance from ODE, but we expect they will be held harmless for closure times or will be responsible for reduced credit standards. Graduation is expected to go on as currently planned.
- What about credits for high school students during quarter 3 and 4? We expect further guidance from ODE soon. We expect students will be held harmless for closure times or will be given greater flexibility in earning credits this spring.
Meal service updates:
To contact Your School With Questions about Chromebook pickup or lunch service, please email or call after March 30th:
RRES-West: email@example.com 582-3233
RRES- East: firstname.lastname@example.org 582-3234
RRJSHS : email@example.com 582-3297
SVA: firstname.lastname@example.org 582-6010
Rogue River School District #35